Pages

Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Chicken and Lentils


My husband has been wanting to eat more lentils because because he discovered how healthy they are for one's heart.  (See World's Healthiest Food's info on lentils.)  They also have lots of fiber and iron.

So, I searched for lentils on allrecipes.com and found this recipe.  (I have modified it, somewhat.)

First, I took 3 frozen boneless, skinless chicken breasts and boiled them.

Next, I heated up some coconut oil and added some chopped onion.

I then added chopped carrots and garlic. 


Next, I added the 3/4 cup of dried lentils (after rinsing them) and 14 ounces of chicken broth.
The recipe says to boil it, cover it, reduce heat to low, and simmer for 20 minutes.  After 20 minutes it became VERY dry so I had to add quite a bit of water.

20 more minutes of simmering and then I added the cooked chicken after shredding it.

The recipe then calls for a 10-oz can of tomato sauce.  I had to add more water, too, because it was getting too dry.

After 10 more minutes of cooking, I added some basil and some marjoram (had no rosemary on hand) and stirred in some fresh lemon juice.

I wasn't expecting to like this stew because I'm not a fan of lentils but I was surprised at how much I did.

No comments:

Post a Comment